by Zarrin S Siddiqui
The month of March has special significance in the history of Pakistan which goes back to 70 years when Lahore resolution now called as Pakistan Resolution was passed on 23rd March. The Pakistani organisations around Australia celebrate this day by organising different activities. This year the day was observed on 3rd April by Pakistan Association of Western Australia (PAWA).
Around 300 members of community attended the event arranged at Morley recreation centre and enjoyed a well presented program by a large number of volunteers.
The event began with recitation of holy verses from Zara Asif a six year old student of Islamic School followed by national anthems. Zarrin Siddiqui welcomed the guests and announced that PAWA is now part of AFPO launched from Melbourne which is an Alliance of the Pakistani organisations around Australia.
She also emphasized the participants to register themselves for possible voting rights as overseas Pakistanis as well as to try and expand the membership of PAWA within their circle of friends.
This was followed by the message of High Commissioner Her Excellency Fouzia Nasreen read by Dr. Farah Adeeb and a colourful program coordinated by Sumair Sajjad the Secretary General of PAWA. Between music and skits Ayaz Qaiser and Nazar Khan keep guests entertained with competitions and lucky draws.
The evening ended with traditional Pakistani Cuisine.
1. Young Zahra Asif was definitely the star of the evening who commenced the evening with her recitation. Made Adeeba and Asif so proud.
2. Tough competition between Mrs. Ghouri and Pervaiz Aslam’s Family on the number of prizes they can win.
3. The competition on who writes most of the vegetable’s names was won by young girl who works part time at a grocery store. It was amazing the type of cabbages she knew.
4. Despite best efforts from Ayaz kids were very diplomatic to respond who is best Mum or Dad in the competition.
5. Nizamuddin well argued that the life before marriage was the better one but lost to Rahim Ghori as he was disqualified being the member of Executive Committee. Hope they had a safe journey back home.
6. Rida Ahmed keep on receiving congratulations for her selection to Global Youth Leaders Conference in USA. Mrs. Ghouri even gave her one of her prizes.
7. Arif Sikander could not persuade the better half to sing with him who totally avoided his call. Better luck next time
8. Wajih, Sameera, Sumair won hearts with their melodious voice. Keep it up
9. Guests from Kalgoorlie made this a true WA event and committed in public that they will have a PAWA event in their town. See you soon
10. Zarrin Siddiqui started the count down of 90 days till next PAWA election. Keep fingers crossed
11. Members were looking for Zain Awan to congratulate for his high TEE score but instead Aslam Awan (father) got all of the wishes.
12. Zaki Mohammed (Treasurer) got relaxed as time passed with the overwhelming number of the participants. Take it easy
13. Sumair Sajjad with his mates got 100% appreciation from all for their well deserved efforts for a well presented variety program. Hope Shahid Afridi is not listening
14. Easter eggs kept kids busy yet one kid shred the whole table cover into pieces. Yeh bachcha kis ka hey?
15. Guests enjoyed past and current issues of Pak Awaaz. Good Luck